Christ Church Sandown
In light of the UK Government requirements to stem the spread of Covid-19 public worship services were suspended in mid-March. Following the more recent further suspension, we are pleased to say that services have now recommenced r albeit with certain restrictions which are referred to below. These include a limit on inter action where conversation should not take place with more than 6 people in total.
You may well be already aware but the numbers at a service are restricted by two factors: The size of the building and the social distancing that can be put in place; and those attending who are already in a "bubble". If you plan to come as a family/bubble group such that social distancing is not required please can you let Frank Blackwell know (click here to email Frank) so that the seating arrangements can be adjusted accordingly. This will also allow additional attendees to be socially distanced. Distancing in the church has been arranged to be 2m apart and we estimate we can safely accommodate up to 50 people.
If you are visitor to the Island from Tier 3 or above then please can we ask you to view our on-line service and not come to the church physically. We would normally like to welcome you but in the current circumstances we ask that you respect the safety of others.
A link to our data consent form is available by clicking here
Other matters to note in terms of church services:
- a list of people attending will be made to facilitate subsequent tracing should this become necessary
- all attendees will be expected to use hand sanitiser or wash their hands on entering. Use of a face mask is now compulsory to comply with Government requirements (so you can potentially attend church anonymously!)
- all liturgy will be on screen and no books used
- there is to be no singing and any liturgical responses should be said quietly (no shouting)
- no children's toys etc. are available due to hygiene restrictions and no provision for children's activities is currently being made. If you are coming with children please bring something with you to keep them occupied. We hope to arrange some special videos for children shortly and please note the special activity links for young people below.
- a one way system is being operated so the entrance and exit points from the building are different.
- no refreshments are being served at this time.
- where the service takes the form of Holy Communion wafers will be used and wine will only be consumed by the celebrant.
- for information, those not attending the services will not fully lose out because the songs, prayers and message will be in line with the service being broadcast for the day on YouTube.
As regards Funerals and Weddings the rules keep changing so our advice is to talk to the Rev. Mark Williams who can give you information on the latest requirements. Full details of the latest general advice as it affects churches can be found at http://www.churchofengland.org/coronavirus.